You might want to just configure Open MPI with:

  ./configure CFLAGS=-g3 ...

That will pass "-g3" to every Makefile in Open MPI.

FWIW: I do variants on this technique and gdb is always able to jump to the right source location if I "break MPI_Barrier" (for example). We actually have a "--enable-debug" option to OMPI's configure, but it does turn on a bunch of other debugging code that will definitely result in performance degradation at run-time (one of its side effects is to add "-g" to every Makefile).