You can also see the FAQ entry:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tuning#setting-mca-params

It shows all the ways to set MCA parameters.

On Oct 22, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Mike Hanby wrote:

Thanks for the link to Sun HPC ClusterTools manual. I'll read through that.

I'll have to consider which approach is best. Our users are 'supposed' to load the environment module for OpenMPI to properly configure their environment. The module file would be an easy location to add the variable.

That isn't always the case, however, as some users like to do it old school and specify all of the variables in their job script. :-)

We install OpenMPI using a custom built RPM, so I may need to add the option to the openmpi-mca-params.conf file when building the RPM.

Decisions...

-----Original Message-----
From: users-boun...@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-boun...@open-mpi.org] On Behalf Of Eugene Loh
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:12 AM
To: Open MPI Users
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Any way to make "btl_tcp_if_exclude" option system wide?

Mike Hanby wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>My users are having to use this option with mpirun, otherwise the jobs will normally fail with a 111 communication error:
>
>--mca btl_tcp_if_exclude lo,eth1
>
>Is there a way for me to set that MCA option system wide, perhaps via an environment variable so that they don't have to remember to use it?

Yes.  Maybe you want to use a system-wide configuration file.  I don't
know where this is "best" documented, but it is at least discussed in
the Sun HPC ClusterTools User Guide.  (ClusterTools is an Open MPI
distribution.)  E.g., http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/821-0225-10/821-0225-10.pdf
. Look at Chapter 7. The section "Using MCA Parameters as Environment Variables" starts on page 69, but I'm not sure environment variables are
really the way to go.  I think you want section "To Specify MCA
Parameters Using a Text File", on page 71. The file would look like this:

% cat $OPAL_PREFIX/lib/openmpi-mca-params.conf
btl_tcp_if_exclude = lo,eth1

where $OPAL_PREFIX is where users will be getting OMPI.  I'm not 100%
sure on the name of that file, but need to run right now.