Hi all - we have a new Nehalem cluster (dual quad core), and SMT is
enabled in the  BIOS (for now).  I do want to do benchmarking on our
applications, obviously, but I was also wondering what happens if I just
set the number of slots to 8 in SGE, and just let things run. It particular, how will things be laid out if I do "mpirun --mca mpi_paffinity_alone 1"?

1. Will it be clever enough to schedule each process on its own core,
   and only resort to the second SMT virtual core if I go over 8
   processes per node (dual quad core)?
2.  If it's not that clever, can I pass a rank file?
3. If I do have to do that, what is the mapping between core numbers
    and processor/core/SMT virtual cores?

Noam