The short answer is that OMPI currently does not remap ranks during MPI_CART_CREATE, even if you pass reorder==1. :-\

The reason is because we've had very little requests to do so.

However, we do have the good foresight (if I do say so myself ;-) ) to make the MPI topology system be a plugin in Open MPI. The only plugin for this system is currently the "do nothing" plugin, but it would *not* be difficult to write one that actually did something meaningful in your torus.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to explain how to do it (and we should probably move to the devel list). OMPI doesn't require too much framework code; I would guess that the majority of the code would actually be implementing whatever algorithms you wanted for your torus. Heck, you could even write a blind-and-dumb algorithm that just looks up tables in files based on hostnames in your torus.