>>> Ralph Castain  11/17/09 4:04 PM >>>
>Your cmd line is telling OMPI to run 17 processes. Since your hostfile
indicates that only 16 of them are to >run on 10.4.23.107 (which I
assume is your PS3 node?), 1 process is going to be run on 10.4.1.23 (I
assume >this is node1?).
node1 has 16 Cores (4 x AMD Quad Core Processors)

node2 is the ps3 with two processors (slots)

>I would guess that the executable is compiled to run on the PS3 given
your specified path, so I would >expect it to bomb on node1 - which is
exactly what appears to be happening.
the executable is compiled on each node separately and lies at each node
in the same directory
 /mnt/projects/PS3Cluster/Benchmark/pi
on each node different directories are mounted. so there exists a
separate executable file compiled at each node.

in the end i want to ran R on this cluster with Rmpi - as i get a
similar problem there i rist wanted to try with an c programm.

with r happens the same thing it works when i start it on each node but
if i want to start more than 16 processes on node one in exits.

On Nov 17, 2009, at 1:59 AM, Laurin Müller wrote:

Hi,

i want to build a cluster with openmpi.

2 nodes:
node 1: 4 x Amd Quad Core, ubuntu 9.04, openmpi 1.3.2
node 2: Sony PS3, ubuntu 9.04, openmpi 1.3

both can connect with ssh to each other and to itself without passwd.

I can run the sample proramm pi.c on both nodes seperatly (see below).
But if i try to start it on node1 with --hostfile option to use node 2
"remote" i got this error:

cluster@bioclust:~$ mpirun --hostfile
/etc/openmpi/openmpi-default-hostfile -np 17
/mnt/projects/PS3Cluster/Benchmark/pi
mpirun noticed that the job aborted, but has no info as to the process
that caused that situation.

my hostfile:
cluster@bioclust:~$ cat /etc/openmpi/openmpi-default-hostfile
10.4.23.107 slots=16
10.4.1.23 slots=2

i can see with top that the processors of node2 begin to work shortly,
then it apports on node1.

I use this sample/test program:
#include
#include
#include "mpi.h"
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
      int    i, n;
      double h, pi, x;
      int    me, nprocs;
      double piece;
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      MPI_Init (&argc, &argv);
      MPI_Comm_size (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &nprocs);
      MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &me);
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      if (me == 0)
      {
         printf("%s", "Input number of intervals:\n");
         scanf ("%d", &n);
      }
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      MPI_Bcast (&n, 1, MPI_INT, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      h     = 1. / (double) n;
      piece = 0.;
      for (i=me+1; i <= n; i+=nprocs)
      {
           x     = (i-1)*h;
           piece = piece + ( 4/(1+(x)*(x)) + 4/(1+(x+h)*(x+h))) / 2 * h;
      }
      printf("%d: pi = %25.15f\n", me, piece);
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      MPI_Reduce (&piece, *, 1, MPI_DOUBLE,
                  MPI_SUM, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD);
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
      if (me == 0)
      {
         printf("pi = %25.15f\n", pi);
      }
/* --------------------------------------------------- */
     MPI_Finalize();
      return 0;
}

it works on each node.
node1:
cluster@bioclust:~$ mpirun -np 4
/mnt/projects/PS3Cluster/Benchmark/piInput number of intervals:
20
0: pi =         0.822248040052981
2: pi =         0.773339953424083
3: pi =         0.747089984650041