I am having a problem with BCast hanging on a dual quad core Opteron (2382, 2.6GHz, Quad Core, 4 x 512KB L2, 6MB L3 Cache) system running FC11 with openmpi-1.4. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH variables are correctly set. I have used the FC11 rpm distribution of openmpi and built openmpi-1.4 locally with the same results. The problem was first observed in a larger reliable CFD code, but I can create the problem with a simple demo code (attached). The code attempts to execute 2000 pairs of broadcasts.

The hostfile contains a single line
<machinename> slots=8

If I run it with 4 cores or fewer, the code will run fine.

If I run it with 5 cores or more, it will hang some of the time after successfully executing several hundred broadcasts. The number varies from run to run. The code usually finishes with 5 cores. The probability of hanging seems to increase with the number of nodes. The syntax I use is simple.

mpiexec -machinefile hostfile -np 5 bcast_example

There was some discussion of a similar problem on the user list, but I could not find a resolution. I have tried setting the processor affinity (--mca mpi_paffinity_alone 1). I have tried varying the broadcast algorithm (--mca coll_tuned_bcast_algorithm 1-6). I have also tried excluding (-mca oob_tcp_if_exclude) my eth1 interface (see ifconfig.txt attached) which is not connected to anything. None of these changed the outcome.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

--
"Through nonaction, no action is left undone." --Lao Tzu

Louis F. Rossi                          ro...@math.udel.edu
Department of Mathematical Sciences     http://www.math.udel.edu/~rossi
University of Delaware                  (302) 831-1880 (voice)
Newark, DE 19716                        (302) 831-4511 (fax)