See, it was a simple thing.  Thank you for the information.  I am trying it
now.  Have to recompile and re-install openmpi for a heterogeneous network.

Now, knowing what to search for, I found that I can set the configuration of
the cluster in a file that mpirun and mpiexec can read.

mpirun --app my_appfile

where app file contains the same --host information.  Makes customizing the
cluster for certain applications very easy.

Thanks for the guidance to this MPI newbie.

Lee