Doh!  Sorry about that.  :-(

We took extra effort in Open MPI to try to obey serialized precedents.  That
is, when we're discussing some feature X, we frequently ask ourselves, "What
would happen if you tried to do X with no MPI/parallelization involved?"
Meaning: what would happen if you ran this in serial without Open MPI?

The "foo" vs. "./foo" is a perfect example of this.  If you type an executable
name on the command line, the shell searches your PATH for the first match.  It
depends on where "." is in your PATH as to whether it finds /bin/foo or ./foo
first (for example).  So we try to obey the same semantics with mpirun -- the
difference between "mpirun foo" and "mpirun ./foo" is exactly the same: we obey
the ordering of where "foo" is found in the PATH.

Although I'm glad you figured it out, I'm sorry this caused you extra time.  :-(