Salve Ricardo Reis!

Como vai a Radio Zero?

Doesn't this serialize the I/O operation across the processors,
whereas MPI_Gather followed by rank_0 I/O may perhaps move
the data faster to rank_0, and eventually to disk
(particularly when the number of processes is large)?

I never thought of your solution,
hence I never tried/tested/compared it
to my common wisdom suggestion to Derek either.
So, I really don't know the answer.

Abrac,o
Gus

Ricardo Reis wrote:

If using the master/slace IO model, would it be better to cicle through all the process and each one would write it's part of the array into the file. This file would be open in "stream" mode...

 like

 do p=0,nprocs-1

   if(my_rank.eq.i)then

     openfile (append mode)
     write_to_file
     closefile

   endif

   call MPI_Barrier(world,ierr)

 enddo

 cheers,

 Ricardo Reis

 'Non Serviam'

 PhD candidate @ Lasef
 Computational Fluid Dynamics, High Performance Computing, Turbulence
 http://www.lasef.ist.utl.pt

 Cultural Instigator @ Rádio Zero
 http://www.radiozero.pt

 Keep them Flying! Ajude a/help Aero Fénix!

 http://www.aeronauta.com/aero.fenix

 http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreis/

                           < sent with alpine 2.00 >