I don't think we have such an environment variable -- are you sure you're using
Open MPI?

The only reference to MPI_TYPE_MAX I see in the OMPI source tree is in the
ROMIO README file:

-----
* When using ROMIO with SGI MPI, you may sometimes get an error
message from SGI MPI: ``MPI has run out of internal datatype
entries. Please set the environment variable MPI_TYPE_MAX for
additional space.'' If you get this error message, add this line to
your .cshrc file:
    setenv MPI_TYPE_MAX 65536
Use a larger number if you still get the error message.
-----