On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Jeff Squyres <jsquy...@cisco.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Hanjun Kim wrote:
>
>> I am working on parallelizing my sequential program using OpenMPI.
>> Although I got performance speedup using many threads, there was
>> slowdown on a small number of threads like 4 threads.
>> I found that it is because getc worked much slower than sequential
>> version. Does OpenMPI override or wrap getc function?
>
> No.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe OpenMPI sends
stdin/stdout from the other ranks back to rank 0 so that the output is
displayed as the stdin of mpirun and the other way around with
stdout/stderr. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible to even see the
output from the other ranks. I guess that could make things slower.

MPICH-2  had a command line option that told mpiexec who would receive
stdin (all processes or only some of them) so that you could do things
like mpiexec <bigfile and not worry (too much) about the overhead of
distributing the contents of bigfile across the network.

Regards,