Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to run a particular process among multiple
processes on the console of a linux cluster.

I want to see the screen output (standard output) of a particular process
(using a particular ID of a process) on the console screen while the MPI
program is running.  I think that if I run a MPI program on a linux cluster
using Sun Grid Engine, the particular process that prints out to standard
output could run on the console or computing node.   And, it would be hard to
see screen output of the particular process.  Is there a way to to set one
process aside and to run it on the console in Sun Grid Engine?

When I run the MPI program on my desktop with quad cores, I can set aside one
process using an ID to print information that I need.  I do not know how I
could do that in much larger scale like using Sun Grid Engine.  I could let one
process print out in a file and then I could see it.  I do not know how I could
let one process to print out on the console screen by setting it to run on the
console using Sun Grid Engine or any other similar thing such as PBS.  I doubt
that a cluster would allow jobs to run on the console because then others users
would have to be in trouble in submitting jobs.  If this is the case, there
seem no way to print out on the console.   Then, do I have to have a separate
(non-MPI) program that can communicate with MPI program using TCP/IP by running
the separate program on the master node of a cluster?  This separate non-MPI
program may then communicate sporadically with the MPI program.  I do not know
if this is a general approach or a peculiar way.

I will appreciate any of input.

Thank you,

Sang Chul