Hi,
I'm new to the list and quite new to the world of MPI.

a bit of background:
I'm a sysadmin and have to provide a working environment (debian base)
for researchers to work with MPI : I'm _NOT_ an open-mpi user - I know
C, but that's all.

I compile openmpi with the following selectors: --prefix=/usr
- --with-openib=/usr --with-mx=/usr
(yes, everything goes in /usr)

when running an mpi application (any application) on a machine equipped
with infiniband hardware, I get a segmentation fault during the
MPI_Finalise()
the code just runs fine on machines that have no Infiniband devices.

<code>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int main (int argc,char *argv[])
{
  int i=0,rank, size;

  MPI_Init (&argc, &argv);      /* starts MPI */
  MPI_Comm_rank (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank);        /* get current process id */
  MPI_Comm_size (MPI_COMM_WORLD, &size);        /* get number of
processes */
while (i == 0)
      sleep(5);
  printf( "Hello world from process %d of %d\n", rank, size );
  MPI_Finalize();
  return 0;
}
</code>

my gdb-fu is quite rusty, but I get the vague idea it happens somewhere
in the MPI_Finalize(); (I can probably dig a bit there to find exactly
where, if it's relevant)

I'm running it with:
$ mpirun --mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0 --mca plm_rsh_agent oarsh
- -machinefile nodefile ./mpi_helloworld

after various tests I've been suggested to try recompiling openmpi with
the --without-memory-manager selector.
it actually solves the issue and everything runs fine.

from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) the "memory manager" is
used with Infiniband RDMA to have a somewhat persistant memory region
available on the device instead of destroying/recreating it everytime.
and thus, it's only a "performance tunning" issue, that disables the
openmpi "leave_pinned" option?

the various questions I have:
is this bug/behaviour known?
if so, is there a better workaround?
as I'm not an openmpi user, I don't really know if it's considered
acceptable to have this option disabled?
does the list want more details on this bug?

thanks,
Guillaume Ranquet.
Grid5000 support-staff.