I know nothing about Gromacs, but you might want to ensure that your Gromacs
was compiled with Open MPI.  A common symptom of "mpirun -np 4
my_mpi_application" running 4 1-process MPI jobs (instead of 1 4-process MPI
job) is that you compiled my_mpi_application with one MPI implementation, but
then used the mpirun from a different MPI implementation.