Hi Govind

It may work with the suggestion I sent you,
even with the OpenMPI with no Torque support that you have.

However, since you have Torque installed on your cluster,
it may be better to install OpenMPI from the source code tarball,
so as to have full Torque support built in, which is much more convenient to use.

It is not really difficult to install OpenMPI from the source code.
It boils down to "configure, make, make install", preceded perhaps
by setting up a few environment variables, say, if you want to use
non-Gnu compilers, or to use a few configure switches, say,
if your Torque library is in a non-standard place.

The OpenMPI README file and FAQs walk you through the process,
and you can always post questions on this list if you have any problems.

Also, in a cluster that is not too big, the best way to install OpenMPI,
in my opinion, is on an NFS mounted directory, so as to make it visible
to all the nodes, without having to install it repeatedly on all nodes.
In general in a cluster the home directories are NFS mounted, but
you may have other choices in your system.

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

Gus Correa wrote:
Hi Govind

Govind Songara wrote:
 > Hi Gus,
 >
 > OpenMPI was not built with tm support.

I suspected that.
Reading your postings, it seems to be an OpenMPI rpm from
a Linux distribution, which I would guess are generic,
and have no specific support for any resource manager like Torque.

 > The submission/execution hosts does not have any of the
 > PBS environment variable set
 > PBS_O_WORKDIR, $PBS_NODEFILE.
 > How i can make set it
 >
 > regards
 > Govind

I sent you a suggestion in my previous message!
Here it is again:

 >     If your OpenMPI doesn't have torque support,
 >     you may need to add the nodes list to your mpirun command.
 >
 >     Suggestion:
 >
 >     /usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/bin/mpirun -hostfile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 4
 >     ./hello

I hope this helps.

Gus Correa
Gustavo Correa
Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

    Besides what Ralph said, make sure your OpenMPI was
    built with Torque ("tm") support.

    Suggestion:

    ompi_info --all | grep tm

    It should show lines like these:

    MCA ras: tm (MCA v2.0, API v2.0, Component v1.4.2)
    MCA plm: tm (MCA v2.0, API v2.0, Component v1.4.2)

    ***

    If your OpenMPI doesn't have torque support,
    you may need to add the nodes list to your mpirun command.

    Suggestion:

    /usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/bin/mpirun -hostfile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 4
    ./hello

    ***

    Also, assuming your OpenMPI has torque support:

    Did you request 4 nodes from torque?

    If you don't request the nodes and processors,
    torque will give you the default values
    (which may be one processor and one node).

    Suggestion:

    A script like this (adjusted to your site), tcsh style here,
    say, called run_my_pbs_job.tcsh:

    *********

    #! /bin/tcsh
    #PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=1
    #PBS -q default@your.torque.server
    #PBS -N myjob
    cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
    /usr/lib64/openmpi/1.4-gcc/bin/mpirun -np 4 ./hello

    *********

    Then do:
    qsub run_my_pbs_job.tcsh

    **

    You can get more information about the PBS syntax using "man qsub".

    **

    I hope this helps,
    Gus Correa
    Gustavo Correa