I had to think about this for awhile, and chatted briefly about it with Jeff,
who concurred with my concerns.

We don't believe this is going to work for you within MPI. The problem is that
our error recovery procedures for MPI won't avoid losing the current query.
Basically, all you can do is (a) periodically checkpoint your application, and
(b) when a failure occurs, return the entire system back to the last checkpoint
and start over again from there.

Thus, you will always lose the current query, plus anything that happened since
the last checkpoint.

I'm not sure why you are using MPI in an SQL engine - are you just trying to
run parallel copies of the engine? If so, then you might want to consider doing
something more along the lines of the OpenRCM project (a sub-project of OMPI).

ORCM was designed to run multiple copies of applications in parallel, each
receiving the same input, so that the failure of any application (or the node
it is on) is invisible to any consumer of that application's output. We run
databases with it now, as well as control applications where we cannot tolerate
any downtime due to a node failure.

We are working hard right now to get out the first production release of ORCM.
If you think it might be of use, you are welcome to try it - we are pretty
responsive to bugs and/or feature requests.

More about ORCM can be found at http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/orcm. To
understand more about how it works, look at the presentation

http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/orcm/papers/cisco-2010

HTH
Ralph