Hm, so I am not sure how to approach this. First of all, the test case
works for me. I used up to 80 clients, and for both optimized and
non-optimized compilation. I ran the tests with trunk (not with 1.4
series, but the communicator code is identical in both cases). Clearly,
the patch from Ralph is necessary to make it work.

Additionally, I went through the communicator creation code for dynamic
communicators trying to find spots that could create problems. The only
place that I found the number 64 appear is the fortran-to-c mapping
arrays (e.g. for communicators), where the initial size of the table is
64. I looked twice over the pointer-array code to see whether we could
have a problem their (since it is a key-piece of the cid allocation code
for communicators), but I am fairly confident that it is correct.

Note, that we have other (non-dynamic tests), were comm_set is called
100,000 times, and the code per se does not seem to have a problem due
to being called too often. So I am not sure what else to look at.

Edgar