Interesting point.

--- On Thu, 12/8/10, Ashley Pittman <ash...@pittman.co.uk> wrote:

From: Ashley Pittman <ash...@pittman.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_Bcast issue
To: "Open MPI Users" <us...@open-mpi.org>

On 11 Aug 2010, at 05:10, Randolph Pullen wrote:

> Sure, but broadcasts are faster - less reliable apparently, but much faster
> for large clusters.

Going off-topic here but I think it's worth saying:

If you have a dataset that requires collective communication then use the
function call that best matches what you are trying to do, far to many people
try and re-implement the collectives in their own code and it nearly always
goes badly, as someone who's spent many years implementing collectives I've
lost count of the number of times I've made someones code go faster by
replacing 500+ lines of code with a single call to MPI_Gather().

In the rare case that you find that some collectives are slower than they
should be for your specific network and message size then the best thing to do
is to work with the Open-MPI developers to tweak the thresholds so a better
algorithm gets picked by the library.

Ashley.

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.