Is that what it reports on the remote node?

I am guessing you are just using ssh to launch remotely -- try this:

    ssh othernode env | grep PATH

Ensure that the answer you get back is what you expect.  Sometime shell startup
files do different things if they're invoked interactively vs.
non-interactively.