Thanks for your response, Reuti.  Actually I had seen you mention the SGE
mailing list in response to a similar question but I can't for the life of me
find that list :(

As for using the background queue, just to clarify - is the idea to submit my
parallel job on a regular queue with 100 processors at nice 0, but allow other
'background queue' jobs on the same processors at nice 19?  Presumably, I'd
still need mpi-2's dynamic process management to free up processors when they
are not needed (at the moment, they use 100% cpu idling in MPI_Recv for
example).  Did I understand you correctly?
--
Will