According to the mpi_finalize documentation, a call to mpi_finalize
terminate all processes.  I have ran into this problem before where one
process calls mpi_finalize before other processes reach the same line of
code and cause errors/hang ups.  Put a mpi_barrier(mpi_comm_world) before
mpi_finalize would do the trick.