I use OpenMPI on a variety of platforms:  stand-alone servers running
Solaris on sparc boxes and Linux (mostly CentOS) on AMD/Intel boxes, also
Linux (again CentOS) on large clusters of AMD/Intel boxes.  These
platforms all have some version of the 1.3 OpenMPI stream.  I recently
requested an upgrade on all systems to 1.4.3 (for production work) and
1.5.1 (for experimentation).  I'm getting a lot of push back from the
SysAdmin folks claiming that OpenMPI is closely intertwined with the
specific version of the operating system and/or other system software
(i.e., Rocks on the clusters).  I need to know if they are telling me the
truth or if they're just making excuses to avoid the work.  To state my
question another way:  Apparently each release of Linux and/or Rocks comes
with some version of OpenMPI bundled in.  Is it dangerous in some way to
upgrade to a newer version of OpenMPI?  Thanks in advance for any insight
anyone can provide.

- Jeff