Hi Toon,

Can you use non-blocking send/recv? It sounds like this will give you the completion semantics you want.

Best,
 ~Jim.

On 2/24/11 6:07 AM, Toon Knapen wrote:
In that case, I have a small question concerning design:
Suppose task-based parallellism where one node (master) distributes
work/tasks to 2 other nodes (slaves) by means of an MPI_Put. The master
allocates 2 buffers locally in which it will store all necessary data
that is needed by the slave to perform the task. So I do an MPI_Put on
each of my 2 buffers to send each buffer to a specific slave. Now I need
to know when I can reuse one of my buffers to already store the next
task (that I will MPI_Put later on). The only way to know this is call
MPI_Complete. But since this is blocking and if this buffer is not ready
to be reused yet, I can neither verify if the other buffer is already
available to me again (in the same thread).
I would very much appreciate input on how to solve such issue !
thanks in advance,
toon
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Barrett, Brian W <bwba...@sandia.gov
<mailto:bwba...@sandia.gov>> wrote:

    On Feb 18, 2011, at 8:59 AM, Toon Knapen wrote:

     > (Probably this issue has been discussed at length before but
    unfortunately I did not find any threads (on this site or anywhere
    else) on this topic, if you are able to provide me with links to
    earlier discussions on this topic, please do not hesitate)

     > Is there an alternative to MPI_Win_complete that does not
    'enforce completion of preceding RMS calls at the origin' (as said
    on pag 353 of the mpi-2.2 standard) ?

     > I would like to know if I can reuse the buffer I gave to MPI_Put
    but without blocking on it, if the MPI lib is still using it, I want
    to be able to continue (and use another buffer).

    There is not.   MPI_Win_complete is the only way to finish a
    MPI_Win_start epoch, and is always blocking until local completion
    of all messages started during the epoch.

    Brian

    --
      Brian W. Barrett
      Dept. 1423: Scalable System Software