Durga Choudhury wrote:
A follow-up question (and pardon if this sounds stupid) is this:

If I want to make my process multithreaded, BUT only one thread has
anything to do with MPI (for example, using OpenMP inside MPI), then
the results will be correct EVEN IF #1 or #2 of Eugene holds true. Is
this correct?

I believe this is thoroughly covered by the standard (though I suppose the same could have been said about my question).

In any case, for your situation, initialize MPI with MPI_Init_thread().  Ask for thread level MPI_THREAD_FUNNELED and check that that level is provided.  That should cover your case.  See the man page for MPI_Init_thread().  My question should not have anything to do with your case.