In addition to what Tim Prince said:

1. you can mix C and Fortran MPI function calls in a single program

2. as such, there's no reason for your C++ app to call mpi_init__() (for
example)

3. you should be able to call *all* MPI C functions as you normally would

4. the only things that you should need MPI_<foo>_f2c / MPI_<foo>_c2f for are
when you exchange MPI handles between your app and PARPACK.  For example, if
you have to pass an MPI datatype down to PARPACK, you'd actually need to pass
MPI_Type_f2c(MPI_INTEGER), or MPI_Type_f2c(MPI_DOUBLE_PRECISION).

5. yes, it might be a pain to figure out how to link your C++ app with a
fortran library, but I think you need to figure that out.  You *may* actually
end up linking your final executable with the Fortran compiler/linker, not the
C++ compiler/linker.  But you may need to specify some extra support libraries
regardless of which linker you end up using -- you might need to google around
and see if other people have tried linking C++ and Fortran together with your
compiler suite.

Make sense?