> didn't find the icc compiler

Jeff, on 1.4.3 I saw the same issue, even more generally: "make
install" cannot find the compiler, if it is an alien compiler (i.e.
not the default gcc) - same situation for intel or llvm, for example.
The workaround is to specify full paths to compilers with CC=...
FC=... in ./configure params. Could it be "make install" breaks some
env paths?

- D.