Ralph, Reuti,

There are no typos, except in my post itself where I clipped out a few
arguments.

I just repeated the exercise this morning, exactly like this:

<path>/bin/mpirun --machinefile mpihosts.dat -np 16 -mca orte_rsh_agent
/usr/bin/rsh -x MPI_ENVIRONMENT=1 ./test_setup

It prompts for a password.

Then I hit the "up" arrow key to bring the command back, and I type over "orte"
and replace with "plm":

<path>/bin/mpirun --machinefile mpihosts.dat -np 16 -mca plm_rsh_agent
/usr/bin/rsh -x MPI_ENVIRONMENT=1 ./test_setup

This time it does not prompt for a password.

I can reverse the order, it doesn't change the behavior:  the "orte" one
prompts for a password but the "plm" one doesn't.

They must not be wholly identical, somehow.  This is OpenMPI 1.4.3.

Ed