You could set the setuid bit on the application and chown it to root??  It
is about as secure as anything else that has been described thus far.  As a
system admin, I cringe at the thought of anything that would allow something
to run as someone else,  so there would have to be a pretty good
justification for such unique use case as yours.

Randall