Hi Bjorn,

Unfortunately, the currently version of Open MPI for Windows doesn't support Posix nor Solaris threads.

However, the work of supporting MinGW is proceeding, which will support GNU compilers for building Open MPI on Windows, and it may partly support pthread, but still needs a lot of tests.

Regards,
Shiqing

On 2011-09-21 8:33 PM, Björn Regnström wrote:
I am building with VS 2008 and the compiler (cl) and the standard libraries that goes with it, including the windows thread library. I have noted that ompi_info requires either Posix or Solaris threads to report that open-mpi has thread support. Do I need to change the
thread library and/or do I need another compiler?

Regards,
Bjorn Regnstrom

At Wednesday, 2011-09-21 on 17:32 Tim Prince wrote:

    On 9/21/2011 11:18 AM, Björn Regnström wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to build Open MPI 1.4.3 with thread support on
    Windows. A
    > trivial test program
    > runs if it calls MPI_Init or MP_Init_thread(int *argc, char
    ***argv, int
    > required, int *provide) with
    > reguired=0 but hangs if required>0. ompi_info for my build
    reports that
    > there is no thread
    > support but MPI_Init_thread returns provide==required.
    >
    > The only change in the CMake configuration was to check
    > OMPI_ENABLE_MPI_THREADS.
    > Is there anything else that needs to be done with the configuration?
    >
    > I have built 1.4.3 with thread support on several linuxes and
    mac and it
    > works fine there.

    Not all Windows compilers work well enough with all threading models
    that you could expect satisfactory results; in particular, the
    compilers
    and thread libraries you use on linux may not be adequate for Windows
    thread support.

-- Tim Prince