Hi Mark

I wonder if you need to initialize the module command environment inside your
SGE
bash submission script:

$MODULESHOME/init/<shell>

where <shell> is bash in this case.   See 'man module' for more details.

This would be before you actually invoke the module command:

module load openmpi

I am guessing your users' default shell is csh, and they may perhaps have a
'csh'
module environment initialized by their .cshrc, but the job submission script
is in bash.

Anyway, we use Torque, not SGE, so this is just a guess.

I hope it helps,
Gus Correa