For MPI_Comm_create -all- processes in the communicator must make the call,
not just those that are in the subgroups. The 2.2 standard states that
  "The function is collective and must be called by all processes in the
group of comm."

However, this is a common misconception about the MPI_Comm_create
interface, and has encouraged the MPI Forum standardization body to
consider an additional interface that just requires those processes in the
specified groups to make the call.

If you are interested in that proposal below are a few links that you might
find informative:
 -
http://meetings.mpi-forum.org/secretary/2012/01/slides/ticket_286_jan_2012_presentation.pdf
 - https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/ticket/286

The ticket includes a link to an EuroMPI paper regarding the prototype, and
the specific language being proposed.

-- Josh