The tag also factors in here.  What I said in the blog entry was:

"The MPI specification doesn’t define which message arrives first.  It defines
which message is matched first at the receiver: the first one (which happens to
be the long one).  Specifically, between a pair of peers, MPI defines that
messages sent on the same communicator and tag will be matched at the receiver
in the same relative order."