Hello,

Placement of data in memory is highly implementation dependent. I assume you
are running on Linux. This OS’ libc (glibc) provides two different methods
for dynamic allocation of memory – heap allocation and anonymous mappings.
Heap allocation is used for small data up to MMAP_TRESHOLD bytes in length
(128 KiB by default, controllable by calls to “mallopt(3)”). Such
allocations end up at predictable memory addresses as long as all processes
in your MPI job allocate memory following exactly the same pattern. For
larger memory blocks malloc() uses private anonymous mappings which might
end at different locations in the virtual address space depending on how it
is being used.

What this has to do with your Fortran code? Fortran runtimes use malloc()
behind the scenes to allocate automatic heap arrays as well as ALLOCATABLE
ones. Small arrays are allocated on the stack usually and will mostly have
the same addresses unless some stack placement randomisation is in effect.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Hristo

Behalf Of Priyesh Srivastava
> Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 10:00 PM
> To: us...@open-mpi.org
> Subject: [OMPI users] issue with addresses
>
> Hello
>
> I am working on a mpi program. I have been printing the addresses of
different variables and arrays using the MPI_GET_ADDRESS command. What I
have > noticed is that all the processors are giving the same address of a
particular variable as long as the address is less than 2 GB size. When the
address of a > variable/ array is more than 2GB size different processors
are giving different addresses for the same variable. (I am working on a 64
bit system and am using > the new MPI Functions and MPI_ADDRESS_KIND
integers for getting the addresses).

> my question is that should all the processors give the same address for
same variables? If so then why is this not happening for variables with
larger addresses.

--
Hristo Iliev, Ph.D. -- High Performance Computing
Rechen- und Kommunikationszentrum der RWTH Aachen