Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I mistakenly printed the return value of the function rather than
atomicity.

My real problem is that I want to access the fields from the MPI_File
structure other than the ones provided by the API e.g. the fd_sys.

Atomicity was just one example I used to explain my problem. If MPI_File is
an opaque structure, is there any other way or any other structure through
which I can reach the fields?

Thanks
-- ammar