Thanks for all your replies.

As now I have access to 3 iOS devices and 1 Android, so if possible I would be
oriented to pursue more the iOS route.

So it seems that there is not yet a simple way to do so on these devices
(Thanks for the paper posted Dominik); I will have to look deeper in that
project that you mentioned and wait for some official release (at least for the
Android side)

I may install linux distro on a virtual machine; mostly I work on OSX so it
should not be that bad (OSX allows me to work with both Android and iOS hassle
free; that's why I had the thought to use my devices for MPI).

Beatty: My idea is to use the devices only when plugged in; I was reading a
paper about how to use MPI and dynamically change the number of nodes attached,
while crunching data for a process. So it would be possible to add and remove
nodes on the fly, and was trying to apply it to a portable device
(http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~szymansk/papers/ppam05.pdf) before realizing that there
is no MPI implementation for them.

I would never envision a system where a user has a device in his pocket that is
actually doing "something" behind is back...mine was a simple issue with having
devices sitting on my desk, which I use to test my apps, and I could use these
devices in a more productive way, while I have them tethered to my main machine
(which is the main server where MPI development is done).

Would you mind elaborate on the approach that you mentioned? I never used
Xgrid, so I am not sure about how your solution would work.

Thanks!

Lou