Pramoda,

That paper was exploring an application of a proposed extension to the MPI
standard for fault tolerance purposes. By default this proposed interface
is not provided by Open MPI. We have created a prototype version of Open
MPI that includes this extension, and it can be found at the following
website:
  http://fault-tolerance.org/

You should look at the interfaces in the new proposal (ULFM Specification)
since MPI_Comm_validate_rank is no longer part of the proposal. You can get
the same functionality through some of the new interfaces that replace it.
There are some examples on that website, and in the proposal that should
help you as well.

Best,
Josh