Dear Paul!

Thanks for your reply. This problem seems to get complicated.

Unfortunately, I can not reproduce what you are describing. I tried with
some GCCs as 4.7.1, 4.7.2 and 4.8.0 (20121008). As you suggested,
replacing the MPI_Init and MPI_Finalize calls with WRITE(*,*) "foooo"
and commenting out use mpi, everything is just fine. No segfault no core
dump, just the result as I expect it (I put a write(*,*) size(conc) in,
which must print 2). I simply compiled with a bare mpif90 ... and
executed typing mpirun -np 1 ./a.out .
I also tried on three different architectures - all 64-bit - and, as
soon as MPI_Init is invoked, the program gets core dumped.

I also tried with IBM's MPI implementation just with the difference
using include 'mpif.h' instead of use mpi. Everything is fine and the
result is as in serial runs.

Well, it's not surprising that 4.4.x has its problems. Using modern
Fortran as F03, GCC in a version younger than  4.7.x is just mandatory.

Cheers,
Stefan