I'm trying to build a simple Open MPI application for Windows. I've installed
the binaries for OpenMPI-v1.6.2 (64-bit). I've also installed Visual Studio
2010. The machine(s) are Windows 7 x64.

When I attempt to compile a simple program that uses MPI::Send(), I get a
linker error saying that it cannot resolve MPI::Datatype::Free().

Here's a minimal example:

#include <mpi.h>
#include <iostream>
int main( int argc, char** argv ) {
    MPI::Init(argc,argv);

    // Meant to run with 2 processes.
    if (MPI::COMM_WORLD.Get_rank() == 0) {
        int data;
        MPI::COMM_WORLD.Recv(&data,1,MPI_INT,1,0);
        std::cout << "received " << data << std::endl;
    } else {
        int data = 0xdead;
        std::cout << "sending " << data << std::endl;
        MPI::COMM_WORLD.Send(&data,1,MPI_INT,0,0);
    }

    MPI::Finalize();
}

When I compile it:

mpic++ send_compile.cpp -o send_compile.exe -DOMPI_IMPORTS -DOPAL_IMPORTS
-DORTE_IMPORTS

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 16.00.40219.01 for x64
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'o' has been deprecated and will be
removed in a future release
send_compile.cpp
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 10.00.40219.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

/out:send_compile.exe
/out:send_compile.exe
"/LIBPATH:C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenMPI_v1.6.2-x64/lib"
libmpi_cxx.lib
libmpi.lib
libopen-pal.lib
libopen-rte.lib
advapi32.lib
Ws2_32.lib
shlwapi.lib
send_compile.obj
send_compile.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual
void __cdecl MPI::Datatype::Free(void)" (?Free@Datatype@MPI@@UEAAXXZ)
send_compile.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
information about this particular problem, though.

I tried using dumpbin to get symbols that were in the .lib files installed by
MPI, but didn't find any reference to that function name. I didn't find any
answers looking in the MPI headers, either.

I have a similar program in C that compiles and runs fine on this Windows
machine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with C++. Can someone point me in
the right direction? Is there some documentation regarding getting things to
work on Windows? The release notes don't address this problem, and I can't find
any other documentation related to what might be different from *nix to Windows
(WRT to Open MPI).

Thanks.

todd.

P.S. This is copied from a StackOverflow question I posted
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14988099/open-mpi-c-link-error-mpidatatypefree-on-windows).
 Forgive the cross-posting.