On 04/02/2013 11:40 AM, Duke Nguyen wrote:
On 3/30/13 8:46 PM, Patrick Bégou wrote:
Ok, so your problem is identified as a stack size problem. I went into
these limitations using Intel fortran compilers on large data problems.

First, it seems you can increase your stack size as "ulimit -s
unlimited" works (you didn't enforce the system hard limit). The best
way is to set this setting in your .bashrc file so it will works on
every node.
But setting it to unlimited may not be really safe. IE, if you got in
a badly coded recursive function calling itself without a stop
condition you can request all the system memory and crash the node. So
set a large but limited value, it's safer.

Now I feel the pain you mentioned :). With -s unlimited now some of our
nodes are easily down (completely) and needed to be hard reset!!!
(whereas we never had any node down like that before even with the
killed or badly coded jobs).

Looking for a safer number of ulimit -s other than "unlimited" now... :(

In my opinion this is a trade off between who feels the pain.
It can be you (sys admin) feeling the pain of having
to power up offline nodes,
or it could be the user feeling the pain for having
her/his code killed by segmentation fault due to small memory
available for the stack.
There is only so much that can be done to make everybody happy.
If you share the nodes among jobs, you could set the
stack size limit to
some part of the physical_memory divided by the number_of_cores,
saving some memory for the OS etc beforehand.
However, this can be a straitjacket for jobs that could run with
a bit more memory, and won't because of this limit.
If you do not share the nodes, then you could make stacksize
closer to physical memory.

Anyway, this is less of an OpenMPI than of a
resource manager / queuing system conversation.

Best,
Gus Correa

I'm managing a cluster and I always set a maximum value to stack size.
I also limit the memory available for each core for system stability.
If a user request only one of the 12 cores of a node he can only
access 1/12 of the node memory amount. If he needs more memory he has
to request 2 cores, even if he uses a sequential code. This avoid
crashing jobs of other users on the same node with memory
requirements. But this is not configured on your node.