I think you cited the correct prior thread on the OMPI users list, and I think
it correctly identifies the problem: the linker is finding the "wrong" library
first, determines that it is wrong, and skips it.

You probably should remove the "wrong" library from your LD_LIBRARY_PATH (e.g.,
if you're building for 64 bit, then remove the 32 bit library dir, and vice
versa).  You *might* be able to remove both of those directories from your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, because gcc might be searching those directories anyway
(because it knows where it built/installed itself, unless you moved the tree
after installation).

Regardless, this is really more of a gcc question than an Open MPI question,
because you probably have this same problem with anything that you compile with
this compiler, right?