Hi Edgar,

wow, lets try again in english :-)

can you maybe detail more precisely what scenario you are particularly
worried about? I would think that the return code of the operation
is reliable on whether opening the file was successful or not (i.e.
MPI_SUCCESS vs. anything else).

If I open the file for reading, I need to know if the file existed or not, and therefore if the call to MPI::File::Open() was successful or not. There may also be more obscure reasons for a call to fail I guess.... The C++ versions of the library do not return any success or failure codes. The return value is the file handle. But as far as I can see there is no method in MPI::File to determine if the handle is valid or not.

Cheers,

Peter.