From: users-boun...@open-mpi.org [users-boun...@open-mpi.org] on behalf of Tim
Prince [n...@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:24 AM
To: us...@open-mpi.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [OMPI users] basic questions about compiling OpenMPI

On 5/22/2013 11:34 AM, Paul Kapinos wrote:
> On 05/22/13 17:08, Blosch, Edwin L wrote:
>> Apologies for not exploring the FAQ first.
>
> No comments =)
>

>> If I want to use Intel or PGI compilers but link against the OpenMPI
>> that ships with RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 (compiled with g++ I
>> presume), are there any issues to watch out for, during linking?
>
> At least, the Fortran-90 bindings ("use mpi") won't work at all
> (they're compiler-dependent.
>
> So, our way is to compile a version of Open MPI with each compiler. I
> think this is recommended.
>
> Note also that the version of Open MPI shipped with Linux is usuallu a
> bit dusty.

The gfortran build of Fortran library, as well as the .mod USE files,
won't work with ifort or PGI compilers.  g++ built libraries ought to
work with sufficiently recent versions of icpc.
As noted above, it's worth while to rebuild yourself, even if you use a
(preferably more up to date version of) gcc, which you can use along
with one of the commercial Fortran compilers for linux.

--
Tim Prince