2013/6/6 Ralph Castain <r...@open-mpi.org>

> Afraid not. You could start a single process, and then have that process
> call MPI_Comm_spawn to launch the rest of them

Mmmm... sounds good

I'm writing an example program using ScaLAPACK. I have written the
ScaLAPACK code in an independent function that must be called after some
work in an individual node (the root one). So I need the first part of the
program be executed by one process. My example looks like:

int main()
{
    //some work that must be done by only one node
    //function that runs internally some scalapack computations
    funcCompScalapack();
    //other work must be done by the original node
    return 0;
}

void funcCompScalapack()
{
    //Initialize MPI
    MPI_Init(NULL,NULL);
    //here I think I should write some code in order to inform that the
work must be done by a number X or processors
    //maybe using MPI_Comm_spawn?
    //some BLACS and ScaLAPACK computations
    //finalize MPI
    MPI_Finalize();
    return;
}

When I execute this program as mpirun -np X myprogram, the pieces of code
before and after the call to function funcCompScalapack() are executed by X
nodes, but these orders must be executed only by one. So my idea is to
execute the binary as ./myprogram (the same I think as mpirun -np 1
myprogram) and internally set the number of processes in
funcCompScalapack() after the MPI_Init() call.

Is my idea possible?

Thanks