VampirTrace works great together with PAPI in order to collect performance
counter readings and to combine them with the function call/MPI traces. Then
Vampir's "Performance Radar" feature can be used to quickly spot bottlenecks in
your application. The only downside is that this kind of profiling can generate
immense amounts of trace data and having the trace event buffers constantly
flushed to the disk or to a network filesystem can significantly skew the
performance picture, especially in the latter case.

Just my €0,02.

--
Hristo Iliev, PhD – High Performance Computing Team
Rechen- und Kommunikationszentrum der RWTH Aachen