I'd like to bump this question.  I also wanted to ask:  I've been
searching the archives, and it seems that in past versions of OMPI,
only MPI_THREAD_SINGLE was available from the default configuration of
OMPI.  It seems that as long as calls to MPI were serialized, however,
there were no issues.  Is this still the case in 1.6 and 1.7 series?

Thanks,
  Brian