Ed,

Im not sure but there might be a case where the BTL is getting overwhelmed by
the nob-blocking operations while trying to setup the connection. There is a
simple test for this. Add an MPI_Alltoall with a reasonable size (100k) before
you start posting the non-blocking receives, and let's see if this solves your
issue.

  George.