Hi Tim,

Well, in general and not on MIC I usually build the MPI stacks using the Intel
compiler set. Have you ran into s/w that requires GCC instead of Intel
compilers (beside Nvidia Cuda)? Did you try to use Intel compiler to produce
MIC native code (the OpenMPI stack for that matter)?
[Tom]
Good idea Michael,  With the Intel Compiler, I would use the -mmic flag to
build MIC code.

Tim wrote: "My first pass at doing a cross-compile with the GNU compilers
failed to produce something with OFED support (not surprising)

export PATH=/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/bin:$PATH
./configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-k1om-linux \
--disable-mpi-f77

checking if MCA component btl:openib can compile... no

Regarding a Gnu cross compiler, this worked for one of our engineers building
for True Scale HCAs and PSM/infinipath.  But it may give useful tips for
building for btl:openib as well:

3. How to configure/compile OpenMPI:
       a). untar the openmpi tarball.
       b). edit configure in top directory, add '-linfinipath' after
'-lpsm_infinipath "
           but not necessary for messages, only for command lines.

       c). run the following script,
#!/bin/sh

./configure \
--host=x86_64-k1om-linux \
--enable-mpi-f77=no --enable-mpi-f90=no \
--with-psm=/.../psm-7.6 \
--prefix=/.../openmpi \
CC=x86_64-k1om-linux-gcc  CXX=x86_64-k1om-linux-g++ \
AR=x86_64-k1om-linux-ar RANLIB=x86_64-k1om-linux-ranlib

       d). run 'make' and 'make install'

OK, I see that they did not configure for mpi-f77 & mpif90, but perhaps this is
still helpful, if the AR and RANLIB flags are important.
-Tom

regards
Michael

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Tim Carlson
Out of the box, there is no gcc on the Phi card. You can use the cross compiler
on the host, but you don't get gcc on the Phi by default.

See this post http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/382057

I really think you would need to build and install gcc on the Phi first.

My first pass at doing a cross-compile with the GNU compilers failed to produce
something with OFED support (not surprising)

export PATH=/usr/linux-k1om-4.7/bin:$PATH
./configure --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-k1om-linux \
--disable-mpi-f77

checking if MCA component btl:openib can compile... no

Tim

Thanks Tom, that sounds good. I will give it a try as soon as our Phi host
here host gets installed.

I assume that all the prerequisite libs and bins on the Phi side are
available when we download the Phi s/w stack from Intel's site, right ?

[Tom]

Right.  When you install Intel's MPSS (Manycore Platform Software Stack),
including following the section on "OFED Support" in the readme file, you
should have all the prerequisite libs and bins.  Note that I have not built
Open MPI for Xeon Phi for your interconnect, but it seems to me that it
should work.

-Tom

Cheers

Michael

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Elken, Tom