That's understandable - if you don't disable xml2, then hwloc uses the xml2
library to do the topology encoding. We rely on their internal "quasi-xml"
encoding method, which I believe provides some different data (and definitely
different format). I suspect this is causing the confusion, though it is
strange since we have them encode and decode it - you would think the routines
come from the same place and would be compatible.

Could be something hwloc needs to look at.