On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 09:14:25PM +0000, Teranishi, Keita wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I am trying to install OpenMPI 1.6.5 on Cray XE6 and very curious with the
>    current support of PMI.  In the previous discussions, there was a comment
>    on the version of PMI (it works with 2.1.4, but fails with 3.0).  Our

Open MPI 1.6.5 does not have support for the XE-6. Use 1.7.2 instead.

>    machine has PMI2.1.4 and PMI4.0 (default).  Which version do you

There was a regression in PMI 3.x.x that still exists in 4.0.x that
causes a warning to be printed on every rank when using mpirun. We are
working with Cray to resolve the issue. For now use 2.1.4. See the
platform files in contrib/platform/lanl/cray_xe6. The platform files you
would want to use are debug-lustre or optimized-lusre.

BTW, 1.7.2 is installed on Cielo and Cielito. Just run:

module swap PrgEnv-pgi PrgEnv-gnu (PrgEnv-intel also works)
module unload cray-mpich2 xt-libsci
module load openmpi/1.7.2

-Nathan Hjelm
Open MPI Team, HPC-3, LANL