Thanks Ralph for this answer. May be I wasn't very clear (my English is not so good...)

I do not want the binding-to-core be the default. For hybrid codes (OpenMP + MPI) I need a bind to the socket. But at this time, I am unable to request a --bind-to-core option:

[begou@kareline OARTEST]$ mpirun -n 4 --bind-to-core ./hellompi172
WARNING: a request was made to bind a process. While the system
supports binding the process itself, at least one node does NOT
support binding memory to the process location.

  Node:  kareline

This is a warning only; your job will continue, though performance may
be degraded.

and without "--bind-to-core" some processes share a same core with only 50% load each.

With an older MPI version (OpenMPI-1.6.3 built with gcc 4.4) it works on the same server. I try to build OpenMPI-1.7.3 or 1.7.2 with GCC 4.8.1 at this time with openib support.

Browsing the developper's list (not this user list), I've found one thread where you discuss about libnuma for a similar problem. libnuma is installed but not the development package (numactl-devel-2.0.7-6.el6.x86_64) so I've just added this package and at this time I'm trying to build again OpenMPI.

Patrick

Ralph Castain wrote:
We never set binding "on" by default, and there is no configure option that
will do so. Never has been, to my knowledge.

If you truly want it to bind by default, then you need to add that directive to
your default MCA param file:

<prefix>/etc/openmpi-mca-params.conf

On Oct 21, 2013, at 3:17 AM, Patrick Begou <patrick.be...@legi.grenoble-inp.fr>